Origin Pro is “a complete graphing and data analysis software package that provides a suite of features catering to the needs of scientists and engineers.” originlab.com
It is available for Windows only. It is available to faculty, staff and graduate students.
We use a concurrent network license. You can install Origin Pro on as many computers as you like. Each computer must be connected to the Internet when you launch Origin.
As this is a new version of Origin AND the Origin License Manager, we’ve only been able to fully test on computers that are within the WSU AD, on wired connections. If the installation process varies for WSU Wireless or WSU SSLVPN connections we will update these instructions accordingly.
- Access chem-diamond3.ad.wsu.edu, navigate to “Jukebox”, then the “Origin” directory, then “2015”
- Copy the entire “2015” directory to your desktop (total size is 530MB but you can delete it when installation is complete).
You may get a system warning (Windows10) that some files being copied may be unsafe, this is normal/expected behavior. Keep calm and carry on 🙂
- After the directory has completed copying, open the LOCAL “2015” directory and verify that you have all the files shown below:
- Now we need to get the the CMD prompt. Press the START button the keyboard (between CTRL and ALT on the left side) and type: CMD but DO NOT press enter yet!
- Right-click the CMD.exe icon and choose “Run as administrator”.
If you do not have admin rights on the computer, user your PI admin login (your Prof will have it, if not call FulmerIT@5-5864 to make an appointment)
- You should now have a box similar to this:
- Now we want to find the “2015” directory. If you copied the directory to the desktop type:
cd users\yourusername\desktop\2015 <enter>
Else cd to the path you copied to instead.
The path should now look like this:
- To see the list of files in the 2015 directory (and verify you’re in the right place) type: DIR <enter>
ALL the files shown below MUST be present or install will error or fail.
- Now we can finally start the installer!
The bat file will start installing the prereq files. There will likely be serveral “User Account Control” prompts to ok the pre-req file installations, click “YES” as they come up.
Depending on your version of Windows, you maybe be prompted to either “Repair” or “Remove” one of the packages that is installed, if so, select “Repair” and the installer will carry on until all pre-reqs are in. This may cycle up to 6 times (1 for each VCRED installer going in that was already present on your system. If you had none previously you won’t see any prompts and the installer will skip straight to the actual Origin part of the installer.
This is the final installer progress bar:
- After a few minutes (depending on the speed of your computer) the installer will get all file installed and the CMD window will indicate success.
Once you see the line: “The operation completed successfully” you can close the CMD window.
- You should now have Origin 2015 fully installed, and can fire it up as seen below:
Only 1 hurdle left! Connecting with the license server.
- Connecting with the license server is an automated process. If everything goes according to plan, you’ll see the Origin splash screen, and a few moments later the full programs opens up.
If you do NOT see an immediate error (it would say something about not finding the licensing server and that it has dumped your into a temporary limited 24hr use mode) then you’re good to go!