Pullman, WA 99164-4630
Pacific Northwest Lab
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2006
University of California, Davis
Washington State University
The Clowers Research Group combines ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) and mass spectrometry (MS) with optical fragmentation mechanisms to probe complex chemical systems in the gas phase. These hybrid methods address a range of chemical problems spanning from the fundamental to the applied. A few of these research topics include carbohydrate structure determination, intelligent stereochemical ligand development, gas-phase clustering equilibria, and selective ion chemistry for threat detection. In addition to focusing on gas-phase ion behavior, students in my group hone skills related to sample ionization, instrument construction, experimental design and chemometric data analysis. These skills help deliver solutions to a range of chemical problems across domains including national security, environmental analysis, and bioanalytical chemistry.
- Clowers, B.H., D.S. Wunschel, H.K. Kreuzer, H. Engelmann, N. Valentine, K.A. Wahl.Characterization of Residual Medium Peptides from Yersinia pestis Cultures. Analytical Chemistry, 2013. Accepted March 14, 2013.
- Ewing, R.G., D.A. Atkinson, B.H. Clowers. Direct real-time detection of RDX vapors under ambient conditions. Analytical Chemistry, 2013. 85(1): p. 389-97.
- Fraga, C.G., B.H. Clowers, R.J. Moore, and E.M. Zink. Signature-Discovery Approach for Sample Matching of a Nerve-Agent Precursor Using Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, XCMS, and Chemometrics. Analytical Chemistry, 2010. 82(10): p. 4165-4173
- Clowers, B.H., Y.M. Ibrahim, D.C. Prior, W.F. Danielson, M.E. Belov, and R.D. Smith. Enhanced ion utilization efficiency using an electrodynamic ion funnel trap as an injection mechanism for ion mobility spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2008. 80(3): p. 612-623.
- Clowers, B.H., W.F. Siems, H.H. Hill. and S.M. Massick. Hadamard transform ion mobility spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2006. 78(1): p. 44-51.
- Wahl, Karen L., Wunschel, David S. and Clowers, Brian H. 2010. “Proteomics Development and Application for Bioforensics.” Chapter 26 in Microbial Forensics, 2nd Edition, ed. B Budowle, SE Schutzer, RG Breeze, PS Keim and SA Morse, pp. 449-460. Academic Press/Elsevier, Burlington, MA.
- System and process for selective detection of vapor-phase analytes. US Pat. Submitted, March 2012
- Ion funnel ion trap and process. US Pat. 12156360, 2010
- Mass analysis of mobility selected ion populations US Pat. 11582198, 2007