Pullman, WA 99164-4630
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2006-2008
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Post-Doctoral Fellowship, 2006
University of California, Davis
Washington State University
The Clowers Research Group combines ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) and mass spectrometry (MS) with optical fragmentation mechanisms to probe complex chemical systems in the gas phase. These hybrid methods address a range of chemical problems spanning from the fundamental to the applied. A few of these research topics include carbohydrate structure determination, intelligent stereochemical ligand development, gas-phase clustering equilibria, and selective ion chemistry for threat detection. In addition to focusing on gas-phase ion behavior, students in my group hone skills related to sample ionization, instrument construction, experimental design and chemometric data analysis. These skills help deliver solutions to a range of chemical problems across domains including national security, environmental analysis, and bioanalytical chemistry.
- Morrison, K.A. * and Clowers, B.H.. Contemporary glycomic approaches using ion mobility–mass spectrometry. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, 2018, 42, 119-129.
- Davis, A.L., Clowers, B.H., Stabilization of Gas-Phase Uranyl Complexes Enables Rapid Speciation using Electrospray Ionization and Ion Mobility-Mass Spectrometry. Talanta 2018, 176, 140-150.
- Garcia, L., Saba, C., Manocchio, G., Anderson, G.A., Davis, E. and Clowers, B.H., An open source ion gate pulser for ion mobility spectrometry. International Journal for Ion Mobility Spectrometry, 2017 20(3-4), pp.87-93.
- Yu, Z., Miller, H. C., Puzon, G. J., Clowers, B. H. Development of Untargeted Metabolomics Methods for the Rapid Detection of Pathogenic Naegleria fowleri. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2017, 51 (8), 4210-4219.
- Kwantwi-Barima, P.*, Ouyang, Hogan, C. J., Clowers, B. H. Tuning Mobility Separation Factors of Chemical Warfare Agent Degradation Products via Selective Ion-Neutral Clustering. Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 89 (22), 12416-12424.
- Clowers, B.H., D.S. Wunschel, H.K. Kreuzer, H. Engelmann, N. Valentine, K.A. Wahl.Characterization of Residual Medium Peptides from Yersinia pestis Cultures. Analytical Chemistry, 2013. Accepted March 14, 2013.
- Ewing, R.G., D.A. Atkinson, B.H. Clowers. Direct real-time detection of RDX vapors under ambient conditions. Analytical Chemistry, 2013. 85(1): p. 389-97.
- Fraga, C.G., B.H. Clowers, R.J. Moore, and E.M. Zink. Signature-Discovery Approach for Sample Matching of a Nerve-Agent Precursor Using Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, XCMS, and Chemometrics. Analytical Chemistry, 2010. 82(10): p. 4165-4173
- Clowers, B.H., Y.M. Ibrahim, D.C. Prior, W.F. Danielson, M.E. Belov, and R.D. Smith. Enhanced ion utilization efficiency using an electrodynamic ion funnel trap as an injection mechanism for ion mobility spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2008. 80(3): p. 612-623.
- Clowers, B.H., W.F. Siems, H.H. Hill. and S.M. Massick. Hadamard transform ion mobility spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2006. 78(1): p. 44-51.
- Wahl, Karen L., Wunschel, David S. and Clowers, Brian H. 2010. “Proteomics Development and Application for Bioforensics.” Chapter 26 in Microbial Forensics, 2nd Edition, ed. B Budowle, SE Schutzer, RG Breeze, PS Keim and SA Morse, pp. 449-460. Academic Press/Elsevier, Burlington, MA.
- Destruction of Nucleic Acid Chains from Collected Biological Material. Clowers. B.H., Hill, H.H., Lovrich, N., Nosbusch, P.* Washington State University, 2017. U.S. Provisional Patent 1756.
- A Device for the Generation of Digital Waveforms with High Resolution Duty Cycle for Creating Digital Waveform Driven Mass Filters. Reilly, P.T.A., Clowers. B.H., Gotlib, Z.,* Hoffman, N.M.,* Washington State University, 2017. U.S. Provisional Patent 1792.
- Particle-based drug detection methods. Hill Jr, H.H., Clowers, B. and Lovrich, N., Washington State University, 2016. U.S. Patent Application 15/217,856.
- Method for selective detection of explosives in mass spectrometer or ion mobility spectrometer at parts-per-quadrillion level. US9123520B2, 2015.
- System and process for selective detection of vapor-phase analytes. US Pat. 20130260478, 2013.
- Ion funnel ion trap and process. US Pat. 12156360, 2010
- Licensed by Agilent Technologies 2011
- Mass analysis of mobility selected ion populations US Pat. 11582198, 2007
- Licensed by ExcellIMS from WSU in 2013