The Clowers Research Group combines ion mobility spectrometry (IMS) and mass spectrometry (MS) with optical fragmentation mechanisms to probe complex chemical systems in the gas phase. These hybrid methods address a range of chemical problems spanning from the fundamental to the applied. A few of these research topics include carbohydrate structure determination, intelligent stereochemical ligand development, gas-phase clustering equilibria, and selective ion chemistry for threat detection. In addition to focusing on gas-phase ion behavior, students in my group hone skills related to sample ionization, instrument construction, experimental design and chemometric data analysis. These skills help deliver solutions to a range of chemical problems across domains including national security, environmental analysis, and bioanalytical chemistry.
- Morrison, K.A. * and Clowers, B.H.. Contemporary glycomic approaches using ion mobility–mass spectrometry. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology, 2018, 42, 119-129.
- Davis, A.L., Clowers, B.H., Stabilization of Gas-Phase Uranyl Complexes Enables Rapid Speciation using Electrospray Ionization and Ion Mobility-Mass Spectrometry. Talanta 2018, 176, 140-150.
- Garcia, L., Saba, C., Manocchio, G., Anderson, G.A., Davis, E. and Clowers, B.H., An open source ion gate pulser for ion mobility spectrometry. International Journal for Ion Mobility Spectrometry, 2017 20(3-4), pp.87-93.
- Yu, Z., Miller, H. C., Puzon, G. J., Clowers, B. H. Development of Untargeted Metabolomics Methods for the Rapid Detection of Pathogenic Naegleria fowleri. Environ. Sci. Technol. 2017, 51 (8), 4210-4219.
- Kwantwi-Barima, P.*, Ouyang, Hogan, C. J., Clowers, B. H. Tuning Mobility Separation Factors of Chemical Warfare Agent Degradation Products via Selective Ion-Neutral Clustering. Analytical Chemistry, 2017, 89 (22), 12416-12424.
- Clowers, B.H., D.S. Wunschel, H.K. Kreuzer, H. Engelmann, N. Valentine, K.A. Wahl.Characterization of Residual Medium Peptides from Yersinia pestis Cultures. Analytical Chemistry, 2013. Accepted March 14, 2013.
- Ewing, R.G., D.A. Atkinson, B.H. Clowers. Direct real-time detection of RDX vapors under ambient conditions. Analytical Chemistry, 2013. 85(1): p. 389-97.
- Fraga, C.G., B.H. Clowers, R.J. Moore, and E.M. Zink. Signature-Discovery Approach for Sample Matching of a Nerve-Agent Precursor Using Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry, XCMS, and Chemometrics. Analytical Chemistry, 2010. 82(10): p. 4165-4173
- Clowers, B.H., Y.M. Ibrahim, D.C. Prior, W.F. Danielson, M.E. Belov, and R.D. Smith. Enhanced ion utilization efficiency using an electrodynamic ion funnel trap as an injection mechanism for ion mobility spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2008. 80(3): p. 612-623.
- Clowers, B.H., W.F. Siems, H.H. Hill. and S.M. Massick. Hadamard transform ion mobility spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry, 2006. 78(1): p. 44-51.
- Wahl, Karen L., Wunschel, David S. and Clowers, Brian H. 2010. “Proteomics Development and Application for Bioforensics.” Chapter 26 in Microbial Forensics, 2nd Edition, ed. B Budowle, SE Schutzer, RG Breeze, PS Keim and SA Morse, pp. 449-460. Academic Press/Elsevier, Burlington, MA.
- Destruction of Nucleic Acid Chains from Collected Biological Material. Clowers. B.H., Hill, H.H., Lovrich, N., Nosbusch, P.* Washington State University, 2017. U.S. Provisional Patent 1756.
- A Device for the Generation of Digital Waveforms with High Resolution Duty Cycle for Creating Digital Waveform Driven Mass Filters. Reilly, P.T.A., Clowers. B.H., Gotlib, Z.,* Hoffman, N.M.,* Washington State University, 2017. U.S. Provisional Patent 1792.
- Particle-based drug detection methods. Hill Jr, H.H., Clowers, B. and Lovrich, N., Washington State University, 2016. U.S. Patent Application 15/217,856.
- Method for selective detection of explosives in mass spectrometer or ion mobility spectrometer at parts-per-quadrillion level. US9123520B2, 2015.
- System and process for selective detection of vapor-phase analytes. US Pat. 20130260478, 2013.
- Ion funnel ion trap and process. US Pat. 12156360, 2010
- Licensed by Agilent Technologies 2011
- Mass analysis of mobility selected ion populations US Pat. 11582198, 2007
- Licensed by ExcellIMS from WSU in 2013