Post-Doctoral Research, 2002-2004
University Of Zurich, Switzerland
Advisor: Prof. Roger Alberto
Ph.D. Chemistry Radiochemistry, 1996-2001
University of Missouri-Columbia
Dissertation Advisor: Prof. Silvia Jurisson
B.S. Chemistry & B.S. Mathematics, 1992-1996
Missouri Baptist College
Dr. Benny’s research group focuses on the development of new techniques and compounds utilizing radioactive nuclides for diagnostic and therapeutic applications in nuclear medicine. The overall goals of the research stem to improve the translation of radiolabeled compounds to practical application through the “bench top to clinic” development. Dr. Benny’s research group has been actively exploring new radiolabeling strategies and developing novel agents to improve the detection of diseases (i.e., cancer) using the organometallic synthon, Alberto’s reagent (99mTc(CO)3(OH2)3+) . 99mTc (t1/2= 6.0 hr, g= 140 keV, (89%) still remains one the most useful diagnostic imaging agents in nuclear medicine and Alberto’s reagent provides an unique combination of coordination and organometallic chemistry. In recent years, Dr. Benny has specifically focused on developing novel small molecule and peptide targeting agents for prostate cancer with Alberto’s reagent. One project has focused on early stage detection by disease with anti-steroidal molecules. Another project focuses on late stage metastatic disease identification with Prostate Specific Membrane Antigen (PSMA) inhibitors. Dr. Benny’s group has also developed several strategies using in situ or click reactions to improve orthogonal radiolabeling of biological targeting agents and improve the specific activity of a radiolabeled molecules. Overall, Dr. Benny’s research encompasses broad scientific background that covers the fundamentals of organic synthesis, inorganic, radiochemistry, analytical techniques, and biological chemistry (in vitro and in vivo models) that are all found within radiopharmaceutical chemistry.
‡Current graduate student ∞Undergraduate student †Post-Doctoral Researcher
- Tanushree Ganguly‡, Benjamin Kasten‡, Dejan-Krešimir BuÄar, Leonard R. MacGillivray, Paul D. Benny*, The hydrazide/hydrazone click reaction as a biomolecule labeling strategy for M(CO)3 (M = Re, 99mTc) radiopharmaceuticals. Chem. Comm., (2011), 47, 12846-12848
- Paul D. Benny*, Tanushree Ganguly‡, Lyndel Raiford∞, Glenn A. Fugate†, Brendan Twamley.Synthesis and Reactivity of Acetylacetone with Amine Ligands in fac-Re(OH2)3(CO)3+ complexes. Inorg. Chem. Comm., (2011), Vol. 14, Issue 2, 392-395
- Paul D. Benny*, Glenn A. Fugate†, Tanushree Ganguly‡, Brendan Twamley, Dejan-Krešimir BuÄar, Leonard R. MacGillivray Unusual Reactivity of Acetylacetone with Imidazole/Histamine Complexes and fac-M(OH2)3(CO)3+ (M = Re, 99mTc). Inorganic Chimica Acta, (2011), Vol.365, Issue 1, 356-362.
- Paul D. Benny*, Adam L. Moore† Recent Advances in the Probe Development of Technetium-99m Molecular Imaging Agents, Current Organic Synthesis, (2011) Vol. 8, Issue 4, 566-583
- Jessie Nedrow-Byers, Mohamed Jabbes, Cayla Jewett∞, Tanushree Gangly‡, Haiyang He†, Tiancheng Liu, Paul Benny, Jeffrey N. Bryan, and Clifford E. Berkman, Phosphoramidate-Based Prostate-Specific Membrane Antigen-Targeted SPECT Agent, The Prostate, In press 9/1/2011
- Adam L. Moore†, Dejan-Krešimir BuÄar, Leonard R. MacGillivray, Paul D. Benny* “Click” Labeling Strategy of M(CO)3+ (M= Re, 99mTc) for Flutamide Derived Agents for Prostate Cancer Imaging. Dalton Trans. (2010), 39, 1926 – 1928.
- He, Haiyang†; Morley, Jennifer E.∞; Twamley, Brendan; Groeneman, Ryan H.; MacGillivray, Leonard R.; Benny, Paul D.* Synthesis and Characterization of the Coordination Interactions of S-Methylpyridyl-Cysteine Ligands with M(CO)3+ (M=99mTc, Re) Inorganic Chemistry (2009), 48 (22), pp 10625–10634.
- He, Haiyang†; Morley, Jennifer E.∞; Silva-Lopez, Elsa‡; Bottenus, Brienne∞; Montajano, Maribel∞; Fugate, Glenn A.†; Twamley, Brendan; Benny, Paul D.* Synthesis of Flutamide Linked M(CO)3+ Compounds for Androgen Receptor Targeting in Prostate Cancer Imaging, Bioconjugate Chemistry (2009), 20(1), 78-86.
- Benny, Paul D.*; Fugate, Glenn A.†; Morley, Jennifer E.∞; Twamley, Brenden; Trabue, Steven Synthesis and Characterization of 2,5-bis(benzyl thio)-1,3,4-thiadiazoleComplexes with fac-ReBr3(CO) 32- Inorganica Chimica Acta (2009) 1289-1294.
- Benny, Paul D.*; Fugate, Glenn A.†; Barden, Adam O.‡; Morley, Jennifer E.∞; Silva-Lopez, Elsa‡; Twamley, Brendan. Metal Assisted In situ Formation of a Tridentate Acac Ligand for Complexation of fac-Re(CO)3+ for Radiopharmaceutical Applications Inorganic Chemistry (2008), 47(7), 2240-2242.
My research has been funded through a number of federal agencies (DOE, NSF, DOD, WA-LSDF)