Professor, Career Track
Pullman, WA 99164-4630
Ph.D. Materials Science-Physics, 2002
Washington State University, Pullman, WA
M.S. Physics, 1993
Washington State University, Pullman, WA
DEST Physics Instruments, 1989
Universite de Metz, Metz, France
Study of model layered bimetallic materials and core-shell and alloy nanoparticles for formic acid oxidation for portable fuel cells (DFAFCs). The perturbation of the electronic properties of these bimetallic materials changes the surface chemical property of the overlayer metal (Pd). Shift in binding energy of core levels measured by XPS and of the d-band centers away from the Fermi level produced by the adlayer metal (Pd) on transition metals determined by UPS are used in combination with cyclic voltammetry to probe the bimetallic materials as advanced catalysts. These bimetallic systems are characterized by XPS, UPS, and AFM and tested by cyclic voltammetry and amperometry. This research is conducted in collaboration with Prof. Su Ha (ChemE, WSU). A similar research in alkaline media (electrochemical oxidation of formate) is conducted in collaboration with Prof. Haan at CSUF.
In addition, we are exploring new syntheses to develop bimetallic catalysts for the reduction of CO2 to formate/formic acid with improved electrochemical properties such as high faradaic efficient, low overpotential and current density about 300mA/cm2.
A second field of interest is organic solar cells. Polymers such as P3HT, PCBM, C60(CN)2 and newly synthesized oligomers (D-A-D), and blends are investigated as thin films spin coated on different conducting substrates by XPS, UPS and AFM. Devices are made and current-voltage measurements are performed to evaluate the open circuit voltage (Voc) and power conversion which are a measure of the efficiency of the organic photovoltaic device. Currently, we are investigating the properties of methylammonium lead iodide perovskite (MAPbI3) as light sensitizer for photovoltaic cells in collaboration with Prof. Gupta and Choi at the University of Virginia.
Study and development of a protein base solid polymer electrolyte (SPE) in collaboration with Prof. Zhong for Li-ion battery applications. The electronic and mechanical properties of soy protein isolate combined with PEO and Li salt are investigated as potential electrolyte for Li ion battery. In addition, we are investigating the soy protein and its properties as filtering materials for environmental friendly air filtering systems.
- Building Ion-conduction Highways in Polymeric Electrolytes by Manipulating Protein Configuration. Fu, Xuewei; Li, Chunhui; Wang, Yu; Kovatch, Lucas; Scudiero, Louis; Liu, Jin; Zhong, Wei-Hong, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2018) 10, 4726-4736
- Comparisons of the external surface characteristics and electrical charge distributions of Babesia bovis, B. bigemina and B. caballi infected erythrocytes and extraerythrocytic merozoites using AFM. Louis Scudiero, Wendy de Jesus Mercado, Angela Rudolph, Jing Wang, and Carlos Suarez, J. Microsc. (2018 ), 1-14 doi: 10.1111/jmi.12697
- Improved Electrochemical Oxidation of Polyalcohols in Alkaline Media on Palladium-Nickel Catalysts. Omar Muneeb, Jose Estrada, Timothy Tran, Shuozhen Hu, Bita Khorasani, Allyson Fry-Petit, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha and John L. Haan, ChemistrySelect (2017) 2, 9261-9266
- Electrochemical Reduction of Carbon Dioxide to Formic Acid in Ionic Liquid [Emim][N(CN)2]/Water System. Xiangjing Zhang; Ying Zhao; Shuozhen Hu; Marisa E Gliege; Yumin Liu; Runjing Liu; Louis Scudiero; Yongqi Hu, Su Ha, Electrochimica Acta 247 (2017) 281-287
- A Cross-Linked Protein Nano-Filter with Anti-Bacteria Properties for Multi-Functional Air Filtration. Souzandeh, Hamid; Molki, Banafsheh; Zheng, Min; Beyenal, Haluk; Scudiero, Louis; Wang, Yu; Zhong, Wei-Hong, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces (2017) 9(27) 22846-2285
- A Disposable Multi-Functional Air Filter: Paper Towel/Protein Nanofibers with Gradient Porous Structures for Capturing Pollutants of Broad Species and Sizes. Hamid Souzandeh, Yu Wang, Louis Scudiero, and Wei-Hong Zhong, ACS Sustainable Chemistry Engineering (2017) 5(7) 6209-6217
- Chemical and Morphological Evaluation of Chars Produced from Primary Biomass Constituents: Cellulose, Xylan, and Lignin. Matthew Smith, Michael Brenna Pecha, Greg Helms, Louis Scudiero, Manuel Garcia-Perez, Biomass and Bioenergy, 104 (2017) 17-35
- Synthesis and Performance of Ceria-Zirconia Supported Ni-Mo Nanoparticles for Partial Oxidation of Isooctane. Qusay Bkour; Kai Zhao; Louis Scudiero; Da J Han; Chang W Yoon; Oscar G Marin-Flores; M. Grant Norton; Su Ha, Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 212 (2017) 97-105
- Improving the Deconvolution and Interpretation of XPS Spectra from Chars by ab Initio Calculations. Matthew Smith, Louis Scudiero, Juan Espinal, Jean-Sabin McEwen, Manuel Garcia-Perez, Carbon 110 (2016) 155-171
- Electrochemical Oxidation of Polyalcohols in Alkaline Media on Palladium Catalysts Promoted by the Addition of Copper. Omar Muneeb; Jose Estrada; Lyndon Tran; Kelly Nguyen; Jennifer Flores; Shuozhen Hu; Allyson Fry-Petit; Louis Scudiero; Su Ha; John Haan, Electrochimica Acta 218 (2016) 133-139
- Effects of Denaturation on the Structure and Properties of Soy Protein Composites. Allen Eyler, Tian Liu, Louis Scudiero, Pui Ching Wo, Wei-Hong Zhong, J. Comp. Biodegradable Polym., (2015), 3, 2, 33-40
- The beauty of frost: Nano-sulfur Assembly via low pressure vapour deposition. Yu Wang, Lu Chen, Louis Scudiero, Wei-Hong Zhong, ChemComm (2015) 51, 15967-1597
- Pd-based Bimetallic and Trimetallic Catalysts for Direct Formic Acid Fuel Cells. Shuozhen Hu, Jennifer Noborikawa, John Haan, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha Applied Catalysis B: Environmental 180 (2015) 758-765
- Temperature Dependent Absolute Energy Levels of Methylammonium Lead Iodide Perovskite. Benjamin J. Foley, Daniel L. Marlowe, Louis Scudiero, Joshua J. Choi and Mool C. Gupta Appl. Phys. Lett. 106 243904 (2015)
- Electronic Effect of Pd-Transition Metal Bimetallic Surfaces on Formic Acid Oxidation, Shuozhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha, Electrochemistry Communications 38C (2014), pp. 107-109
- Palladium-Copper Electrocatalyst for Promotion of Oxidation of Formate, Ethanol, and 2 Propanol in Alkaline Media, Jennifer Noborikawa, Julie Lau, Jennine Ta, Shouzhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Shahab Derekhshan, Su Ha, John L. Haan Electrochimica Acta, 137 (2014) 654-660
- Effect of irradiation on P3HT Films Deposited on Si studied by photoelectron spectroscopy, Louis Scudiero Yang Shen and Mool C. Gupta, Appl. Surf. Sci., 292 (2014) 100-106
- Temperature Dependence Photoelectron Spectroscopy and Cyclic Voltammetry of Supported Pd-Cu Bimetallics, Shuozhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha, Electrochimica Acta, 105 (2013) 362-370
- Surface Electronic Structure and Enhanced Electrochemical Activity of Pd-Cu Bimetallic Catalyst towards Formic Acid Electro-Oxidation, Shuozhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha, Electrochimica Acta, 83, (2012) 354-358
- Characterization of a New Donor-Acceptor-Donor copolymer for Solar Cell Applications, Kerner Ross*, Yilin Li and Louis Scudiero, Synthetic Metals, 162 (2012), 1198-1203
- Sulfur Poisoning of Molybdenum Dioxide during the Partial Oxidation of a Jet-A Fuel Surrogate, Oscar Marin-Flores, Timothy Turba, Caleb Ellefson,Joe Breit, Louis Scudiero, M. Grant Norton and Su Ha Appl. Catalysis B, 105 (2011) 61-68
- Photoelectron Spectroscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy Study of 1,2-dicyano-methanofullerene C60(CN)2 Thin Film for Photovoltaic Applications, Vaishali Rao Koppolu, Mool C. Gupta, L. Scudiero, Solar Energy Materials and Solar cells , 95(2011) 1111-111
- Photoemission Spectroscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy Study of Vapor Co-Deposited Silver/Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Composites, L. Scudiero, Haoyan Wei, Hergen Eilers ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 1, (2009) 2721-2728.
- Dan Barlow, Louis Scudiero, and K.W. Hipps, “Scanning Tunneling Microscopy of 1, 2, and 3 Layers of Electroactive Compounds”, Ultramicroscopy, 97 (2003), 47-53.
- L Scudiero, K.W. Hipps, Dan E. Barlow, and Manning P. Cooke. “A Self-organized 2-Dimensional Bifunctional Structure”, J. Phys. Chem. B (2003), 107, 2903-2909.
- K.W. Hipps, L. Scudiero, Dan E. Barlow, and Manning P. Cooke, “A self-organized 2-dimensional bifunctional structure formed by supramolecular designed”, JACS Communications, 2002, 124(10); 2126-2127