Pullman, WA 99164-4630
Ph.D. Materials Science-Physics, 2002
Washington State University, Pullman, WA
M.S. Physics, 1993
Washington State University, Pullman, WA
DEST Physics Instruments, 1989
Universite de Metz, Metz, France
Study of model layered bimetallic materials and core-shell and alloy nanoparticles for formic acid oxidation for portable fuel cells (DFAFCs). The perturbation of the electronic properties of these bimetallic materials changes the surface chemical property of the overlayer metal (Pd). Shift in binding energy of core levels measured by XPS and of the d-band centers away from the Fermi level produced by the adlayer metal (Pd) on transition metals determined by UPS are used in combination with cyclic voltammetry to probe the bimetallic materials as advanced catalysts. These bimetallic systems are characterized by XPS, UPS, and AFM and tested by cyclic voltammetry and amperometry. This research is conducted in collaboration with Prof. Su Ha (ChemE, WSU). A similar research in alkaline media (electrochemical oxidation of formate) is conducted in collaboration with Prof. Haan at CSUF.
A second field of interest is organic solar cells. Polymers such as P3HT, PCBM, C60(CN)2 and newly synthesized oligomers (D-A-D), and blends are investigated as thin films spin coated on different conducting substrates by XPS, UPS and AFM. Devices are made and current-voltage measurements are performed to evaluate the open circuit voltage (Voc) and power conversion which are a measure of the effeciency of the organic photovoltaic device. Currently, we are investigating the properties of methylammonium lead iodide perovskite (MAPbI3) as light sensitizer for photovoltaic cells in collaboration with Prof. Gupta and Choi at the University of Virginia.
- Electronic Effect of Pd-Transition Metal Bimetallic Surfaces on Formic Acid Oxidation, Shuozhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha, Electrochemistry Communications 38C (2014), pp. 107-109
- Palladium-Copper Electrocatalyst for Promotion of Oxidation of Formate, Ethanol, and 2 Propanol in Alkaline Media, Jennifer Noborikawa, Julie Lau, Jennine Ta, Shouzhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Shahab Derekhshan, Su Ha, John L. Haan Electrochimica Acta, 137 (2014) 654-660
- Effect of irradiation on P3HT Films Deposited on Si studied by photoelectron spectroscopy, Louis Scudiero Yang Shen and Mool C. Gupta, Appl. Surf. Sci., 292 (2014) 100-106
- Temperature Dependence Photoelectron Spectroscopy and Cyclic Voltammetry of Supported Pd-Cu Bimetallics, Shuozhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha, Electrochimica Acta, 105 (2013) 362-370
- Surface Electronic Structure and Enhanced Electrochemical Activity of Pd-Cu Bimetallic Catalyst towards Formic Acid Electro-Oxidation, Shuozhen Hu, Louis Scudiero, Su Ha, Electrochimica Acta, 83, (2012) 354-358
- Characterization of a New Donor-Acceptor-Donor copolymer for Solar Cell Applications, Kerner Ross*, Yilin Li and Louis Scudiero, Synthetic Metals, 162 (2012), 1198-1203
- Sulfur Poisoning of Molybdenum Dioxide during the Partial Oxidation of a Jet-A Fuel Surrogate, Oscar Marin-Flores, Timothy Turba, Caleb Ellefson,Joe Breit, Louis Scudiero, M. Grant Norton and Su Ha Appl. Catalysis B, 105 (2011) 61-68
- Photoelectron Spectroscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy Study of 1,2-dicyano-methanofullerene C60(CN)2 Thin Film for Photovoltaic Applications, Vaishali Rao Koppolu, Mool C. Gupta, L. Scudiero, Solar Energy Materials and Solar cells , 95(2011) 1111-111
- Photoemission Spectroscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy Study of Vapor Co-Deposited Silver/Poly(3-hexylthiophene) Composites, L. Scudiero, Haoyan Wei, Hergen Eilers ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 1, (2009) 2721-2728.
- Dan Barlow, Louis Scudiero, and K.W. Hipps, “Scanning Tunneling Microscopy of 1, 2, and 3 Layers of Electroactive Compounds”, Ultramicroscopy, 97 (2003), 47-53.
- L Scudiero, K.W. Hipps, Dan E. Barlow, and Manning P. Cooke. “A Self-organized 2-Dimensional Bifunctional Structure”, J. Phys. Chem. B (2003), 107, 2903-2909.
- K.W. Hipps, L. Scudiero, Dan E. Barlow, and Manning P. Cooke, “A self-organized 2-dimensional bifunctional structure formed by supramolecular designed”, JACS Communications, 2002, 124(10); 2126-2127