WSU faculty are recognized by their peers for significant contributions to scientific discovery and dedication to chemistry education. Honors and awards include:
- Fellows of the American Chemical Society: K.W. Hipps, Ursula Mazur, and Kirk Peterson
- Fellows of the American Physical Society: K.W. Hipps and Kirk Peterson
- Fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science: K.W. Hipps, Ursula Mazur, Kirk Peterson
- Fellow of the American Vacuum Society: K.W. Hipps
- Chinese-American Chemistry & Chemical Biology Professors Association Distinguished Faculty Award: Ming Xian
- Gauss Professor, Göttingen Academy of Sciences: Kirk Peterson
Research in the department is often featured in cover articles in high-impact journals including the Journal of the American Chemical Society, the Journal of Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, and the Journal of Mass Spectrometry.